Phase 2 Engagement
Phase 2 built on the progress made during the first phase and consisted of bilateral meetings with provincial federations of agriculture as well as young farmers and innovators. Meetings were also held with a broad range of stakeholders from across the agriculture value chain including farmers, processors, distributors, manufacturers, retailers, consumers and the public. In-person meetings were held across the country in order to leverage the ingenuity of farmers, processors and others in the sector. Those who were unable to attend the meetings were able to provide their comments and feedback online.
FPT governments, stakeholders and the public discussed the GF2 policy framework and identified policy needs. Over 500 participants discussed the roles of government and industry in achieving the desired outcomes of GF2. The outcome of Phase 2 was a general consensus on the policy framework and directions proposed.
The Phase 2 Engagement Discussion Document puts forth strategic questions designed to initiate discussion on the main elements of the next agricultural policy framework. The discussion document:
- Describes the global and domestic economic environment facing agriculture and assesses it in terms of opportunities and challenges for the Canadian sector;
- Introduces the basic structure that is proposed to guide the development of Growing Forward 2; and
- Identifies broad objectives and drivers.
The discussion document also reflects the outcomes of Phase 1 engagement meetings and subsequent analysis.
Sessions were held in the following locations:
- March 14, 2011 - Winnipeg, Manitoba
- March 22, 2011 - Fredericton, New Brunswick
- March 23, 2011 - London, Ontario
- March 24, 2011 - Edmonton, Alberta
- March 24, 2011 - Guelph, Ontario
- March 25, 2011 - Calgary, Alberta
- March 25, 2011 - Halifax, Nova Scotia
- June 13, 2011 - Abbotsford, British Columbia
- June 17, 2011 - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- June 21, 2011 - Regina, Saskatchewan
- June 22, 2011 - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
The As It Was Heard Report summarizes what was heard at during this phase of engagement.
For more information on Growing Forward 2, please contact GrowingForward2@agr.gc.ca or call 1-855-773-0241.