The Pest Management Centre (PMC) is committed to improving the access of growers to low-risk, environmentally sustainable and economically competitive pest control tools and practices, including biopesticides. For an explanation of the types of products included in our biopesticides work, see Categories of Biopesticides and Related Products.
The PMC works closely with grower representatives, the biocontrol industry, the Pest Management Regulatory Agency, and international experts to facilitate the use of biological control products.
To improve access to, and promote adoption of biopesticides by Canadian growers, the PMC:
- Provides regulatory support to priority biopesticides for registration in Canada – for more details see About Regulatory Support
- Provides advice to biopesticides researchers and industry representatives on scientific and regulatory questions
- Shares information on new pest management tools with growers, researchers and other stakeholders to encourage implementation – see PMC Publications and Documents Archive
- Supports projects to facilitate the development of biopesticides and their integration into sustainable pest management systems
- Participates in Health Canada working groups to help streamline regulatory efforts
Priorities for the PMC's biopesticides support work are determined by Canadian growers during the annual Biopesticides Priority Setting Workshop.
The First Annual Biopesticides Priority Setting Workshop was held in 2010.
Biopesticides Regulatory Support 2005-2010 presents the status of projects submitted to the Pest Management Regulatory Agency between 2005 and 2010.
For more information on biopesticide activities at the PMC, please contact:
Senior Biopesticides Coordinator
Pesticide Risk Reduction Program Manager