Masse, Lucie, Ph.DResearcher, Environmental Health
2000 College Street
Sherbrooke, Quebec J1M 0C8
Areas of Expertise:
- Membrane Filtration
- Biological Treatments
- Physico-chemical Treatments
- Coagulation Flocculation
- Waste Management
- Semi-liquid Manure
- Liquid Manure
- The characterization of the fouling layer on the surface of membranes used to concentrate manure nutrients
- The efficiency of various cleaning products (acids, bases, chelators, surfactants, and salts) in recovering the flux and retention properties of membranes used in wastewater treatment
- The effect of manure characteristics on greenhouse gas production from storage structures
- Design and evaluation of a polymer-aided solid-liquid separation system as a pretreatment to membrane filtration
Research Publications:The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Masse, L., Mondor, M., and Dubreuil, J. (2013). "Membrane filtration of the liquid fraction from a solid–liquid separator for swine manure using a cationic polymer as flocculating agent.", Environmental Technology, 34(5), pp. 671-677. doi : 10.1080/09593330.2012.710409
- Pariseau, É., Massé, D.I., Masse, L., Topp, E., Burrus, V., and Malouin, F. (2013). "Coagulation–flocculation pre-treatment of surface water used on dairy farms and evaluation of bacterial viability and gene transfer in treatment sludge.", Water Quality Research Journal of Canada, 48(2), pp. 111-120. doi : 10.2166/wqrjc.2013.140
- Barret, M., Gagnon, N., Morissette, B., Topp, E., Kalmokoff, M.L., Brooks, S.P.J., Matias, F., Massé, D.I., Masse, L., and Talbot, G. (2012). "Methanoculleus spp. as a biomarker of methanogenic activity in swine manure storage tanks.", FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 80(2), pp. 427-440. doi : 10.1111/j.1574-6941.2012.01308.x
- Barret, M., Gagnon, N., Topp, E., Masse, L., Massé, D.I., and Talbot, G. (2012). "Physico-chemical characteristics and methanogen communities in swine and dairy manure storage tanks: Spatio-temporal variations and impact on methanogenic activity.", Water Research, 47(2), pp. 737-746. doi : 10.1016/j.watres.2012.10.047
- Ippersiel, D., Mondor, M., Lamarche, F., Tremblay, F., Dubreuil, J., and Masse, L. (2012). "Nitrogen potential recovery and concentration of ammonia from swine manure using electrodialysis coupled with air stripping.", Journal of Environmental Management, 95(Suppl.), pp. S165-S169. doi : 10.1016/j.jenvman.2011.05.026
- Masse, L., Bellemare, G., and Dubreuil, J. (2012). "RO membrane filtration of pretreated swine manure with high levels of suspended solids.", Transactions of the ASABE, 55(5), pp. 1815-1820.
- Gagnon, N., Barret, M., Topp, E., Kalmokoff, M.L., Massé, D.I., Masse, L., and Talbot, G. (2011). "A novel fingerprinting technology to assess the diversity of methanogens.", FEMS Microbiology Letters, 325(2), pp. 115-122. doi : 10.1111/j.1574-6968.2011.02418.x
- Massé, D.I., Masse, L., Topp, E., Séguin, G., Ortega, L.M., Scott, A., and Pariseau, É. (2011). "Maintenance strategies for on-site water disinfection by ultraviolet lamps on dairy farms.", Water Quality Research Journal of Canada, 46(1), pp. 2-12. doi : 10.2166/wqrjc.2011.014
- Masse, L. and Massé, D.I. (2010). "The effect of environmental and process parameters on flocculation treatment of high dry matter swine manure with polymers.", Bioresource Technology, 101(16), pp. 6304-6308. doi : 10.1016/j.biortech.2010.03.037
- Masse, L., Massé, D.I., Topp, E., Séguin, G., Scott, A., Ortega, L.M., and Pariseau, É. (2010). "Microbial and Physico-Chemical Characteristics of Surface Water Sources Used on Dairy Farms in Ontario.", Water Quality Research Journal of Canada, 45(3), pp. 287-294.
- Masse, L., Massé, D.I., and Beauséjour, R. (2010). "Effects of Polymer Charge Density and Molecular Weight on Flocculation Treatment of Swine Manure at Various Dry Matter Contents.", Transactions of the ASABE, 53(6), pp. 1911-1917.
- Massé, D.I., Masse, L., Xia, Y., and Gilbert, Y. (2009). "Potential of low temperature anaerobic digestion to address current environmental concerns on swine production.", Journal of Animal Science, 88, pp. E112-E120. doi : 10.2527/jas.2009-2432
- Masse, L., Massé, D.I., Pellerin, Y., and Dubreuil, J. (2009). "Osmotic pressure and substrate resistance during the concentration of manure nutrients by reverse osmosis membranes.", Journal of Membrane Science, 348(1-2), pp. 28-33. doi : 10.1016/j.memsci.2009.10.038
- Mondor, M., Ippersiel, D., Lamarche, F., and Masse, L. (2009). "Fouling characterization of electrodialysis membranes used for the recovery and concentration of ammonia from swine manure.", Bioresource Technology, 100(2), pp. 566-571. doi : 10.1016/j.biortech.2008.06.072
Other Science Related Publications:
- Barret, M., Gagnon, N., Morissette, B., Topp, E., Massé, D.I., Masse, L., and Talbot, G. (2011). "Methanogenesis in Swine Manure Storage Tanks: Towards the Identification of the Active Microorganisms.", 111th General Meeting of American Society for Microbiology (ASM2011), New Orleans, LA, USA, May 21-24, 2011.
- Gagnon, N., Topp, E., Kalmokoff, M.L., Masse, L., Massé, D.I., and Talbot, G. (2010). "Novel fingerprint technology to assess the diversity of methanogens.", 13th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology (ISME13), Seattle, WA, USA, August 22-27, 2010. (Abstract)
- Masse, L., Massé, D.I., Pariseau, É., and Séguin, G. (2010). "Effect of Temperature and Physico-Chemical Characteristics on the Efficiency of Coagulation Flocculation Pretreatment of Water on Dairy Farms.", XVIIth World Congress of the International Commission of Agricultural Engineering (CIGR): Sustainable Development through Engineering, Section II - Farm Buildings, Equipment, Structures and Livestock Environment, Québec City, QC, Canada, June 13-17, 2010.
- Bastien, D., Massé, D.I., and Masse, L. (2009). "Environment team - Dairy and Swine Research and Development Centre.", 2 pages. (Factsheet)
- Masse, L., Massé, D.I., and Pellerin, Y. (2009). "Effect of osmotic pressure and substrate resistance on transmembrane flux during the concentration of pretreated swine manure with reverse osmosis membranes.", International Conference on Nutrient Recovery from Wastewater Streams, Vancouver, BC, Canada, May 10-13, 2009. (Abstract)