Gaul, Sonia, Ph.D.Research Scientist, Environmental Biology/Chemistry
32 Main St.
Kentville, Nova Scotia B4N 1J5
Areas of Expertise:
- human nutrition
- food safety-chemical
- pest resistance and pesticides
- environmental impact
- Integrated pest management in berry crops and orchard crops
- Identification of semiochemicals useful in management of selected insect pests in horticulture
- Management of stinging mirid insects in apple orchards
- Vegetative field management of insects in lowbush blueberry
- Identification of larvae in fruit using DNA diagnostics
- Interaction of chemicals in agroecosystems
- Investigation of endocrine disruptors in water in agroecosystems
- Investigation of resistance in insects using toxicology and molecular biology
- Integrated pest management of the rhagoletis mendax
- Assess adoption, efficacy & impact of BMPs & IPM
- Develop reduced risk technologies and BMPs for management of insect and mite pests of berry crops
Research Publications:The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Kelly, J.A., Avery, T.S., Stewart, D.T., Cutler, C.G., Gaul, S.O., MacKenzie, K.C., and Hillier, N.K. (2013). "Non-target Gelechiidae and Noctuidae attraction to Aroga trialbamaculella (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) pheromone-based trapping systems", Canadian Entomologist, 145(1), pp. 48-52. doi : 10.4039/tce.2012.95
- Russell, L.F., Sanford, K.A., Gaul, S.O., Haskett, J., Johnston, E.M., McRae, K.B., and Stark, R. (2010). "Effect of calcium salts on fortified apple juice.", British Food Journal, 112(7), pp. 751-762. doi : 10.1108/00070701011058271
- Burgher-MacLellan, K.L., Gaul, S.O., MacKenzie, K.C., and Vincent, C. (2009). "The Use of Real-time PCR to Identify Blueberry Maggot (Diptera:Tephritidae, Rhagoletis mendax) from other Rhagoletis species and in Lowbush Blueberry Fruit (Vaccinium angustifolium).", Acta Horticulturae (ISHS), 810, pp. 265-274.
Other Science Related Publications:
- Gaul, S.O., Estabrooks, E.N., Vincent, C., and MacKenzie, K.C. (2011). "Predicted emergence of Rhagoletis mendax (Diptera: Tephritidae) in lowbush blueberry and presence in north western New Brunswick, Canada.", Entomological Society of Canada and Acadian Entomological Society 2011 Joint Annual Meeting, Westin Nova Scotian Hotel, Halifax, NS, Canada, November 6-9, 2011. (Poster)
- Gaul, S.O., Vincent, C., and MacKenzie, K.C. (2011). "Influence of the bioassay and blueberry volatiles on Rhagoletis mendax (Diptera:Tephritidae) response.", Entomological Society of Canada and Acadian Entomological Society 2011 Joint Annual Meeting, Westin Nova Scotian Hotel, Halifax, NS, Canada, November 6-9, 2011.