Hunter, David, Ph.D.Research Scientist
Vineland Research Farm, 4902 Victoria Ave N.
PO BOX 6000
Vineland Station, Ontario L0R 2E0
Telephone: 905-562-4113 (242)
Areas of Expertise:
- cultivar development: Development of pear cultivars and selections with improved resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses
- in vitro culture: Micropropagation of pear cultivars and selections
- plant biotechnology: Development of transgenic pear selections incorporating novel disease resistance genes
- genetic variation
- biochem. & morphology (response to disease & stress)
- plant physiology
- plant diseases & control (bacterial diseases - fire blight)
- fruit trees (apple & pear)
- plant breeding/reproduction (breeding systems
- gene transfer
- Development of tree fruit selections and cultivars with improved resistance to biotic (diseases, pests) and abiotic stresses
- Development of pear selections and cultivars with improved resistance to the bacterial disease fire blight
- Development of genetically modified pear selections incorporating novel genes for disease resistance.
- Evaluation of pear cultivars and selections for fresh and processing markets and for regional adaptation
- Micropropagation of pear cultivars and selections
- Developing high quality, adaptable, disease resistant tree fruit varieties for Canada.
- Pear breeding for resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses [AAFC Research proposal (2006)]
- Development of pear cultivars and selections with improved resistance to fire blight [MII (2006-2009)]
- Adjunct Professor, University of Guelph, Department of Plant Agriculture
- Graduate Faculty, University of Guelph, Department of Plant Agriculture
- Professional Agrologist, Ontario Institute of Agrologists
Research Publications:The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Hunter, D.M., Svircev, A.M., Kaviani, M., Michelutti, R., Wang, L.P., and Thompson, D. (2010). "First Report of Pear Decline Caused by ‘Candidatus Phytoplasma pyri’ in Ontario, Canada.", Plant Disease, 94(5), pp. 634.2. doi : 10.1094/PDIS-94-5-0634B
- Hunter, D.M., Kappel, F., Quamme, H.A., Bonn, W.G., and Slingerland, K.C. (2009). "‘Harovin Sundown’ Pear.", HortScience, 44(5), pp. 1461-1463.