De Clerck-Floate, Rosemarie, Ph.D.Research Scientist
5403 - 1 Avenue South
PO Box 3000
Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 4B1
Areas of Expertise:
- biocontrol of invasive alien plants
- weed biology and ecology
- insect-plant interactions
- insect ecology
- interactions between weed biocontrol agents and non-target plant species
- rangeland management
- mass-propagation of insect biocontrol agents
- insect rearing
- integrated pest management
- weed biological control
- design and operation of insect containment facilities
- Discover, develop and implement arthropod agents for biological control of weeds.
- The use of fertilization to improve the delivery, reliability, and study of weed biological control.
- Interactions of biocontrol insect, target weed and non-target, native plant populations on rangelands.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Lethbridge, Department of Biological Sciences
- Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia, Okanagan, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Science
- Associate Editor, Weed Biocontrol Section, Environmental Entomology
- Vice President, Entomological Society of Alberta
Research Publications:The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Barnewall, E.C. and De Clerck-Floate, R.A. (2012). " A preliminary histological investigation of gall induction in an unconventional galling system.", Arthropod-Plant Interactions, 6(3), pp. 449-459. doi : 10.1007/s11829-012-9193-4
- De Clerck-Floate, R.A., Saunders, P., and Floate, K.D. (2012). "Release and recapture of three insect species test the efficacy of trap method and air flow in insect containment.", Canadian Entomologist, 144(4), pp. 609-616. doi : 10.4039/tce.2012.45
- Julien, M.H., De Clerck-Floate, R.A., Bourne, A., Gellender, M., and Xu, C.-Y. (2012). "Determining the growth responses of Phyla canescens to shoot and root damage as a platform to better-informed weed management decisions.", Australian Journal of Botany, 60(4), pp. 310-318. doi : 10.1071/BT11205
- De Clerck-Floate, R.A. and Cárcamo, H.A. (2011). "Biocontrol arthropods: new denizens of Canada's grassland agroecosystems.", in Floate, K.D. (ed.) - Arthropods of Canadian Grasslands. Vol. 2: Inhabitants of a Changing Landscape, Biological Survey of Canada (BSC), Chapter 12, pp. 291-321.
- Gaskin, J.F., Bon, M.-C., Cock, M.J.W., Cristofaro, M., De Biase, A., De Clerck-Floate, R.A., Ellison, C.A., Hinz, H.L., Hufbauer, R.A., Julien, M.H., and Sforza, R. (2011). "Applying molecular-based approaches to classical biological control of weeds (Review).", Biological Control, 58(1), pp. 1-21. doi : 10.1016/j.biocontrol.2011.03.015
- Van Hezewijk, B.H., Bourchier, R.S., and De Clerck-Floate, R.A. (2010). "Regional-scale impact of the weed biocontrol agent Mecinus janthinus on Dalmatian toadflax (Linaria dalmatica).", Biological Control, 55(3), pp. 197-202. doi : 10.1016/j.biocontrol.2010.08.008
- Boyetchko, S.M., Bailey, K.L., and De Clerck-Floate, R.A. (2009). "Current biological weed control agents - their adoption and future prospects.", Prairie Soils and Crops, 2:6.
- De Clerck-Floate, R.A. and Wikeem, B. (2009). "Influence of release size on establishment and impact of a root weevil for the biocontrol of houndstongue (Cynoglossum officinale).", Biocontrol Science and Technology, 19(2), pp. 169-183. doi : 10.1080/09583150802650167
- Smith, E.G., De Clerck-Floate, R.A., Van Hezewijk, B.H., Moyer, J.R., and Pavlik, E. (2009). "Costs of mass-producing the root weevil, Mogulones cruciger, a biological control agent for houndstongue (Cynoglossum officinale L.).", Biological Control, 48(3), pp. 281-286. doi : 10.1016/j.biocontrol.2008.12.001
Other Science Related Publications:
- Catton, H.A., De Clerck-Floate, R.A., and Lalonde, R.G. (2012). "Houndstongue, biocontrol and nontarget attack.", South Okanagan-Similkameen Invasive Plant Society (SOSIPS) Annual General Meeting, Penticton, BC, Canada, April 10, 2012. (Abstract)
- Catton, H.A., Lalonde, R.G., and De Clerck-Floate, R.A. (2012). "Patch-level nontarget attack by the biocontrol weevil Mogulones crucifer: A temporary spillover effect requiring host plant presence?", Ecological Society of America (ESA 2012) 97th Annual Meeting, Portland, OR, USA, August 5-10, 2012. (Abstract)
- De Clerck-Floate, R.A. and Bourchier, R.S. (2012). "Classical weed biocontrol in Canada: How do new agents against emerging invasive plants happen?", Terrestrial Invasive Plant Species Conference: Understanding Plant Invasions in a Changing World, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada, August 20-22, 2012, pp. 40. (Abstract)
- De Clerck-Floate, R.A. and Dyck, J. (2012). "Developing a biological control strategy for hawkweeds in Canada.", Entomological Society of Canada and the Entomological Society of Alberta 2012 Joint Annual Meeting, Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel, Edmonton, AB, Canada, November 4-7, 2012. (Poster)
- De Clerck-Floate, R.A., Gassmann, A., Sing, S., and Tŏsevski, I. (2012). Petition for field release of Rhinusa pilosa (Gyllenhal, 1838) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) against yellow toadflax (Linaria vulgaris Mill.: Plantaginaceae) in Canada and the U.S.A. (Report)
- De Clerck-Floate, R.A., Bourchier, R.S., and Van Hezewijk, B.H. (2009). "What’s happening up north on weed biocontrol research?", Interagency Biological Control Meeting, Billings, MT, USA, November 16-17, 2009. (Presentation)
- De Clerck-Floate, R.A., Floate, K.D., and Saunders, P. (2009). "A test of containment efficacy using living insects in a release and recapture study.", Entomological Society of Alberta 57th Annual Meeting, Lakeland College, Vermilion, AB, Canada, November 5-7, 2009, pp. 21.
- De Clerck-Floate, R.A., Floate, K.D., and Saunders, P. (2009). "A test of containment efficacy using living insects in a release and recapture study.", Entomological Society of Canada and Manitoba Entomological Society 2009 Joint Annual Meeting, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, October 18-21, 2009, pp. 46.