Theilmann, David, Ph.D.A/Research Manager - Research Scientist Molecular Insect Virology
4200 Highway 97
Summerland, British Columbia V0H 1Z0
Areas of Expertise:
- insect diseases - viral
- molecular virology
- biological control
- gene expression
- In vivo functional interactions of a baculovirus pathogen with the midgut of its host the Lepidopteran pest insects
- Global analysis of tissue specific gene expression during infection of the canola pest Mamestra configurata by its baculovirus pathogen MacoNPV
- Molecular analyses of baculovirus proteins required for attachment and infection of the midgut of its host the Lepidopteran Canola Pest Mamestra configurata.
- Molecular analyses of the baculovirus pathogenic for the greenhouse pest Trichoplusia ni
- Development of midgut genomics and proteomics platform leading to the identification of novel insect targets for enhanced resistance.
- Adjunct Professor Faculty of Land and Food Systems University of British Columbia
- Adjunct Professor Zoology Department University of British Columbia
- Baculovirus Genome consultant for the National Institutes of Health GenBank Nucleic acid and protein data base
- Member of the Biocontrol Network
- Member and Past Chair of the baculovirus study group of the International Committee for the Taxonomy of Viruses
Research Publications:The links below lead to abstracts with access to full text.
- Dickison, V.L., Willis, L.G., Sokal, N., and Theilmann, D.A. (2012). "Deletion of AcMNPV ac146 eliminates the production of budded virus.", Virology, 431(1-2), pp. 29-39. doi : 10.1016/j.virol.2012.05.002
- Nie, Y.C., Fang, M.G., Erlandson, M.A., and Theilmann, D.A. (2012). "Analysis of the Autographa californica Multiple Nucleopolyhedrovirus Overlapping Gene Pair lef3 and ac68 Reveals that AC68 Is a Per Os Infectivity Factor and that LEF3 Is Critical, but Not Essential, for Virus Replication.", Journal of Virology, 86(7), pp. 3985-3994. doi : 10.1128/JVI.06849-11
- Peng, K., van Lent, J.W.M., Boeren, S., Fang, M.G., Theilmann, D.A., Erlandson, M.A., Vlak, J.M., and van Oers, M.M. (2012). "Characterization of novel components of the baculovirus per os infectivity factor (PIF) complex.", Journal of Virology, 86(9), pp. 4981-4988. doi : 10.1128/JVI.06801-11
- Toprak, U., Harris, S., Baldwin, D., Theilmann, D.A., Gillott, C., Hegedus, D.D., and Erlandson, M.A. (2012). "The role of enhancin in Mamestra configurata nucleopolyhedrovirus virulence: Selective degradation of host peritrophic matrix proteins.", Journal of General Virology, 93(4), pp. 744-753. doi : 10.1099/vir.0.038117-0
- De Jong, J.D., Theilmann, D.A., Arif, B.M., and Krell, P.J. (2011). "Immediate-early protein ME53 forms foci and colocalizes with GP64 and the major capsid protein VP39 at the cell membranes of autographa californica multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus-infected cells.", Journal of Virology, 85(19), pp. 9696-9707. doi : 10.1128/JVI.00833-11
- Nie, Y.C.Theilmann, D.A., Fang, M.G. (2011). "Autographa californica multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus core gene ac92 (p33) is required for efficient budded virus production.", Virology, 409(1), pp. 38-45. doi : 10.1016/j.virol.2010.09.023
- Nie, Y.C. and Theilmann, D.A. (2010). "Deletion of AcMNPV AC16 and AC17 results in delayed viral gene expression in budded virus infected cells but not transfected cells.", Virology, 404(2), pp. 168-179. doi : 10.1016/j.virol.2010.03.031
- De Jong, J.D., Arif, B.M., Theilmann, D.A., and Krell, P.J. (2009). "Autographa californica multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus me53 (ac140) is a non-essential gene required for efficient budded virus production.", Journal of Virology, 83(15), pp. 7440-7448. doi : 10.1128/JVI.02390-08
- Fang, M.G., Nie, Y.C., Harris, S., Erlandson, M.A., and Theilmann, D.A. (2009). "Autographa californica multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus core gene ac96 encodes a per Os infectivity factor (pif-4).", Journal of Virology, 83(23), pp. 12569-12578. doi : 10.1128/JVI.01141-09
- Fang, M.G., Nie, Y.C., and Theilmann, D.A. (2009). "AcMNPV EXON0 (AC141) which is required for the efficient egress of budded virus nucleocapsids interacts with β-tubulin.", Virology, 385(2), pp. 496-504. doi : 10.1016/j.virol.2008.12.023
- Fang, M.G., Nie, Y.C., and Theilmann, D.A. (2009). "Deletion of the AcMNPV core gene ac109 results in budded virions that are non-infectious.", Virology, 389(1-2), pp. 66-74. doi : 10.1016/j.virol.2009.04.003
- Nie, Y.C., Fang, M.G., and Theilmann, D.A. (2009). "AcMNPV AC16 (DA26, BV/ODV-E26) regulates the levels of IE0 and IE1 and binds to both proteins via a domain located within the acidic transcriptional activation domain.", Virology, 385(2), pp. 484-495. doi : 10.1016/j.virol.2008.12.020
Other Science Related Publications:
- Erlandson, M.A., Maghodia, A.B., Cossentine, J.E., Lowery, D.T., and Theilmann, D.A. (2011). "Genome structure of a nucleopolyhedrovirus infecting Abagrotis reedi, a cutworm pest of vineyards.", 44th Annual Meeting of the Society for Invertebrate Pathology, Halifax, NS, Canada, August 7-11, 2011. (Poster)
- Nie, Y., Fang, M.G., Erlandson, M.A., and Theilmann, D.A. (2011). "Deletion analysis of the AcMNPV gene ac67 (lef-3) encoding the single stranded DNA binding protein and the core gene ac68 shows that LEF-3 is not essential for virus replication.", 30th Annual Meeting of American Society for Virology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA, July 16-20, 2011.
- Noakes, A.L., Gillott, C., Hegedus, D.L., Theilmann, D.A., and Erlandson, M.A. (2011). "Mamestra configurata nucleopolyhedrovirus (MacoNPV): potential chitin-binding proteins and their role in oral infectivity.", 44th Annual Meeting of the Society for Invertebrate Pathology, Halifax, NS, Canada, August 7-11, 2011.